Moongate Games UK

"Changing worlds, one line of code at a time"

Developers Post #5: Failed Retro

Welcome back everyone to the fifth developers post.

 This week seems to have been a week of bad decisions and some reflection of myself. So my first and biggest bad decision was to make a 2D game in unity (in it's current state), then it was changing the goal of the project halfway through and not sticking to the original plan. Which then because, I felt kind of down about it, I reflected on myself as a person and came to the conclusion that I need to sort my habits out and stick to what I'm meant to be doing.

So my first and biggest bad decision was to make a 2D game in unity.

 This to be honest was a bad idea from the start and I knew it, mainly because I didn't do the proper research into doing correct pixel scaling so I didn't get issues like this:

All the visual artefacts...

 As you can see above the was a fair bit of pixel stretching in the game view and I spent a lot of time attempting to fix that, but as you can see it didn't work.

 But this failure has given me a new reason to learn another 2D based game engine as well as continuing with unity itself.

then it was changing the goal of the project halfway through and not sticking to the original plan.

 This is probably one of the fundamental flaw that I have as a person in the fact that I flick from project to project and don't finish them, along with shifting project goals half way through. Usually this is all because I've seen something, or want to add another feature in and it deviates from the original goal I had in mind. Though it sometimes can be for legitimate reasons and sometimes doesn't deviate that much from what I want.

 Take 'A Way Home' for example recently there was a feature that I had planned right from the start to set the mood of the game which had to be taken out because of technical reasons. But taking that feature out also diminished the feelings of what I was trying to put across within the game. (There will be more on this in a future post, when A Way Home is more ready.)

 Reflecting on this I've decided that I'm going to plan out my projects in more detail along with splitting them out into different parts with time frames to work on them. Along with that I'm also going to be setting aside evenings/days for working on different projects I'm working on or stalled for various reasons. I'm still deciding on what projects to do but I have a few that need working on.

Since it's pretty late again here I think I should wrap this up.

  So this weeks theme for this post is Electro Swing, it's something I'd listened too at various points in my life, but never really known what it was. At least until Ludum Dare 36 where I stumbled across this specific compilation of music and found that it's really awesome to code to.

 With that everyone, have a great week and I'll post an update on how my project work is going in the next developers post.

- Luke.